My first recipe share WOOH!!!!! I’m super excited to share this with you guys because MAN….. it’s incredible. Pinterest is the hub for finding new recipes, so I found a recipe for a healthy snickers pie, and twisted it into my own concoction….. raw chocolate caramel slices. (I’ll hold for the applause)
This recipe is rich, decadent, chocolatey, caramel-y, chewy and dense, and it’s actually good for you! Being a major sweet tooth myself, I am always looking for ways to satisfy any sweet cravings I have in a healthy way that won’t make me feel groggy and sick afterwards. These my friends, are the absolute solution, and are a MUST TRY!!!
Chocolate Base Layer:
- 10 tbsp cocao powder
- 24 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 c nut of choice (cashews and almonds have been my favorite choices)
- 2 c unsweetened dried coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Caramel Top Layer:
- 20 Medjool dates, pitted, soaked in boiling water for 10 min and then drained
- 6 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp unsalted almond butter
- Add all of the chocolate base layer ingredients to a food processor and process until it is smooth and sticking together. This may take a while, so just be patient with it.
- Once sticky and smooth, press down into a parchment lined 9 by 9” pan. Once pressed down in pan, place in the freezer to set while you make the caramel.
- Add all of the caramel ingredients to the food processor (you don’t need to clean the processor between this and the chocolate layer), and process until very smooth with no chucks.
- Grab the pan from the freezer, and spread an even layer of caramel on top of the chocolate base.
- (optional) Melt chocolate of your choice and sprinkle along the caramel top.
- Freeze bars overnight, and let thaw for about 5-10 minutes before cutting and enjoying.
And that’s it guys!! I hope you enjoy this recipe, and I would love to know what you think!!
(Disclaimer, This is not my original photo. However, this is almost identical to what my bars look like, if you were to crumble more of the chocolate base on the top 🙂 )